If you are planning to embark on a new venture or are already running an enterprise, knowing all about short-term loans will serve you well.
Money plays a crucial role in your entrepreneurial journey, determining the size and scope of your business. After all, when you are brimming with ideas to cater to a market need, the last thing you want on your hands is a financial concern that could result in a compromised business opportunity.
Fortunately every problem has a solution and financial solutions for businesses come in many forms.
Reach out to experts
Should you require commercial finance, a short-term business loan could prove to be immensely useful. Wondering what exactly short-term loans are? You could ask friends who have applied for one, or approach specialized financial companies like us. You would be better placed to know more about short term business loans before applying for one. This is particularly useful if you are venturing into business for the first time as a small entrepreneur.
What is a short-term loan?
The simplest way to understand the concept of a short-term loan is to think of it as a business loan that provides immediate working capital to your company. You are given a lump sum amount that you have to repay within a period of one year, or up to five years at most. This is in contrast to other loans which can be repaid over a longer term.
Financial experts say that a short term business loans hold the potential of making or breaking your company. As per a study, conducted by the National Small Business Association, 19% of small business owners cite lack of available capital as the major challenge in their growth, and 82% of businesses fail due to improper management of cash flow.
Given its importance to small businesses, let’s take a quick look at the implications of a short-term business loan.
Factors to keep in mind
Short-term loans are easier to obtain as compared to long-term loans. You can avail of them in the alternative finance market through online lenders, and thus you can completely bypass the slow and cumbersome conventional lenders like banks. These loans are less tedious to get as they have a shorter list of qualifications and lesser paperwork. But you also need to repay them faster, usually within a year. If you manage to raise your profitability in the short term, this can be comfortably achieved.
However, there are certain points that you need to keep in mind while applying for a short-term loan. The interest rates of short-term loans are relatively higher in the commercial finance segment. Thus, it’s advisable for you to go through and understand the total cost of the loan before applying for it. Short-term loans often demand frequent payments from you. In case you don’t have regular/stable cash flow, you may find it difficult to repay your loan with weekly payments.
To help you further, here are five things you should know before applying for a short-term loan.
- Be clear about the purpose: Having a clear purpose is the pre-requisite for exploring a short-term business loan. It’s of utmost importance to be crystal clear as to the purpose of the loan—to hire new talent, expand your supplier network, invest in technology etc. If the purpose is not clear, the loan amount could well be frittered away on incidental expenses that can hold back the progress of young companies. Analyze in detail if the short-term loan is going to work for you in your current situation.
- Have an operational plan: Have a clear business strategy in place before securing a loan from a financier. It’s crucial to have a strategy that optimizes your resources. Without a proper business plan/strategy, it’s likely that you are going to find yourself in a debt-trap.
- Research interest rates and overall cost: Interest rates are an important part of any loan. It’s a smart move to know the interest rates on your dream loan early on, along with the other charges/fees that your lender may levy. A fee would not cause an increase in your interest rate, but it will be a part of your monthly payments.
- Calculate risks: As a wise entrepreneur, it is crucial that you carefully weigh all the possible risks before arriving at any decision. Analyze and ask yourself questions like: Will this loan help me in reaping the benefits? Will it generate regular cash flow? Will I be able to repay my loan in regular weekly or monthly payments?
- Know your loan duration: Apart from calculating all the risks, and having the strategy in place, it is important to know the duration of your loan and to choose the repayment tenure wisely. You can choose a slightly extended period, keeping risks and emergencies in mind, instead of choosing a short tenure.
Take a leap of faith
We understand that the journey of any venture, especially of a small business, is not an easy one. It takes a lot to take your business to a certain level and when issues like finances become a hindrance, one is likely to lose hope. But remember, today’s new age financial solutions offer a timely respite. Yet, you need to have an analytical and calculative mind, which can understand the pros and cons of the loan in order to leverage it fully.
If you are still in a dilemma, wondering how to get loan for your business or are unable to decide if a short-term business loan suits you or not, we, at Capital Float would be more than happy to assist you.